Consequi a melius mundi - For a better world
WHO ARE WE?
Speedwell Group, LLC is now Speedwell Monaco, Inc. as a result of the merger of Speedwell Group, our former business investment and investment sourcing firm with Monaco Properties, our former real estate investment and development firm.
We are a Texas-based "C" corporation that focuses on identifying investment and acquisition on behalf of our own account and those of a very select group of partner/clients. These investments can be either minority or majority and are typically in the range of $10 million to over $50 million*. Corporate investments generally meet six requirements:
1) Location. We invest in US-based companies with the majority of their workforce being located in the United States. We prefer larger, business-friendly metropolitan areas but will look at opportunities with strong metrics in other US locations;
2) Industry. While essentially industry-agnostic, we typically conduct industry-specific searches as our investment criteria changes from time to time. As a general rule, we typically shy away from commodity-based industries (sand, gravel, nuts & bolts, etc.), government-controlled industries (utilities, Medicare, etc.) and industries that face legal or ethical challenges (tobacco, alcohol, sexually-based, etc.);
3) Culture. We look for companies with solid people-focused cultures (including employees, customers, vendors and communities);
4) Scale. While we will look at non-cash flow positive companies given the right situation, we typically make minority and majority investments of $10 million to more than $50 million in established businesses that can support such an investment based on existing cash flow—thus a certain amount of scale is required.
5) Multiples. Our partner/clients are “performance-based” investors, not “potential-based” investors. Thus, we look at past and current performance to determine value—although in certain situations, given a good plan, we can mitigate this requirement somewhat; and
6) Tenure. We prefer to invest in established companies and leadership teams that have weathered a few “storms”. As typically long-term investors, we anticipate more storms ahead during our investment period. How a business survived the 2008 recession is an important discussion point.
*funds can be used for working/growth capital (organic and/or M&A), partner buyouts and even wealth diversification (providing ownership with a partial exit while remaining in charge of the company’s destiny)
Real Estate activities
Along with our development and financial partners, we look to make investments of $10 million to $25 million in select multi-unit real estate projects focused on an aging demographic. We prefer projects with at least 100 beds/units and a combination of independent, assisted living & memory care in markets with strong demographics and friendly regulatory environments. We will also consider independent living projects in select markets. Recent & current senior living activities are in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Texas (we are open to other markets where demand and the economics merit such a project).
WHO AM I?
For more than 40 years, I have been an entrepreneur, real estate developer and most of all have been an investor. I have served in senior leadership roles on 3 continents, have started or bought and sold several companies (some sadly, failed), have served on numerous Boards, have sourced the acquisition / investment in numerous nearly two dozen companies, and have raised hundreds of millions of dollars in capital.
I am a member of the Association of M&A Advisors (AM&AA) and hold a CM&AA (Certified M&A Advisor) designation. I also have a Texas real estate license.
Please feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions or should you have any interest.
Thank you. We look forward to hearing from you.